Saturday, May 15, 2010

garden, glasses, sheets, rugs and a large box of cake mix



 .


Garden
On Thursday I had lunch with Gina Justinao and her husband. Gina is the mother of one of my students from a few years ago. She is an artist as well, and as been teaching a few art classes at SCCLC. We wanted to catch up with each other. At lunch our conversation ended up being an informational session about San Fernando. Gina's husband Heromus is the head of 2 natural conservation societies. San Fernando is in the region of land with which Heromus works. He knows all about plants and animals of that area, and controls logging, to preserve the forest. Well, he told me that about 8 years ago there was a large garden project in San Fernando, to help with the people's nutrition. He said the soil is sandy, but with natural fertilizer and much regular water, the plants did well. There was lettuce, tomatoes, and a few other things. He said it was a large garden, and when the conservation foundation people were not there any more to keep it going, and to motivate people, that the people did not keep it up.... It was interesting, and good to know. And now you have new things to pray about.

Last week I spent the day with the SAM missionary agronomer and his wife out at their house near a town called Pilon. Their names are Jason and Jenna Weigner (who are both from Syracuse, New York and actually went to Faith Heritage, the same school I graduated from... small world). I learned how to use a machete and a hoe. We made a raised garden.  They are good for areas that get alot of rain. I learned many other things. Here are some photos.

Air Layering- a way to make a branch make roots, so you can cut it off (a month later) and plant a small tree. (And not have to start a tree from a seed.) I would use this if I wanted a tree in the village to be by my house.





GLASSES
The glasses I have now are fine. I bought them in July 2005 here in Santa Cruz Bolivia. Yet, I was thinking if something happened to my glasses when I was out in San Fernando, though I have my contacts I could use, it would be rough to be without glasses. So, the first week I was back here, I went to the optometrist to get a new prescription, and I went back just yesterday to pick out frames because I had learned that they were going to get a new shipment in so I waited to pick them out. It will be a week and a half before I can go pick them up. They are very simple, silver frames. The eye oppointment was 30Bs! Which is about 4$. I didn't care that I had to wait 3 hours, it was worth it. The optometrist was nice and smart. The lenses, frames and cost to mount them is a bit more, 250Bs which is about 35$. I think that is a good deal. ;-) And really, the glasses I have are still good. ;-)



Sheets and Rugs
This morning I went to the house of a missionary who is moving back to the States permanently. They were selling all sorts of things. I got a cake pan (which I could use for many things) and a pie pan. Also I got some cute bright flowery sheets for a twin bed. The small flowers are yellow and orange, the leaves are bright green. The biggest purchases were two nice berber rugs. They are mostly tan with a mossy green. I think they will make our rooms look homier...

And a large box of cake mix...
Well, no not really. But cake does sound good.

1 comment: