Saturday, May 15, 2010

Thinking about San Fernando.

I am glad I got to go visit on Tuesday. It was SO good to see MY HOUSE. It is so much nicer than I had imagined. But there are a few things yet to be finished. One of the rooms still needs screen in the windows, as does the bathroom. The bathroom needs the toilet and sink:  I WILL HAVE RUNNING WATER AFTER ALL! PRAISE THE LORD! The missionary guys organizing the construction decided they wanted the house to have running water. Whether I live there the rest of my life or not, the house really is a SAM house, so they put in the standards they wanted it to have. Thinking about the future: I still "need" a kitchen sink. But if there is a bathroom sink that might do for a while. Or if there are no sinks for a while, then I will use a bucket of which I have a few.  I dropped them off when I was there on Tuesday, as well as pots and pans, mugs, plates, silverware, bowls, a tea pot, a thermos and other kitchen things. I also dropped off things for my garden: chicken wire, a shovel, a hoe, a machete, a hammer, nails, and a saw. You can see my stuff in the photo with these little guys who were my helpers the whole time I was in San Fernando on Tuesday.


Bella, the woman who is in charge of the church, was not in San Fernando when we arrived. She had gone the two-day trip by  horseback to the nearest city, San Matias. But I left with her daughter-in-law (who lives at Bella's house) a large bag of rice, flower, sugar and vegetable oil for Bella and her family. This is a picture of Bella  and her grandson from my trip to San Fernando a year ago.

The children and adults we met seemed happy that I was coming to live in their village. I am sure everyone has been keeping track of the progression of construction on my house. Jimena and I will be "what is new" in San Fernando.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As we landed on the rancher's field/ landing strip in San Fernando, there was soon a small group of curious boys to greet us. They just watched at first, then came closer. The two boys shown in the photo above came closest.  They wanted to see inside the air plane. They were good little helpers all day. While Greg, the missionary pilot, was out checking things on the plane, the boys helped me carry my things. They led me to the church on a path that was NOT frequently traveled.  It was almost like they were making the path themselves. But I trust local little boys.  They are honest and helpful. As we got to the church, and walked around back to see my rooms, such joy over came me that I couldn't help but smile... "I'm home", I thought. The two rooms are approximately 15ft by 12ft each.  They have large wooden frames that make openings for windows and have bars on the windows for security. There is no glass; we will only have screen... When it gets cold... well, maybe it won't get that cold...

As I looked around, more curious kids showed up, mostly staying on the side  of the building where the church is. There is a little concrete stage that is great for kids to play on. Kids are kids no matter where you are. Boys will challenge each other seeing who is strongest.

As the rest of my group arrived--Greg the pilot, David the mechanic, Isaiah (David's son), and Jim (David's father in law)--the kids curiously watched us. Greg walked around to see what more had to be done with the construction. Jim walked around taking pictures. He is an older man down from the states to see SAMAIR ministries, and possible future partnership ideas.

We took some pictures at the church.  Isaiah is in the front of this picture.Then the little boys led us to the river. After that we went to Bella's house. We visited with her daughter-in-law and other family there for a little while.  They offered us cake and hot chocolate. It was good. I will learn from her how to make bread and cake.

Our time in San Fernando was short because we had to also fly to another village, have lunch there, then go back to Santa Cruz.  Just as I am sure that the people of San Fernando are happy to have Jimena and me coming to live in their village, I am also sure that they are curious about what we will do there. We will be learners for a while:  getting our mud oven/stove made and learning how to cook over/in it, and learning how to clear land.The lot the church/our house is on is nice, but needs work. We will  have our beds, chairs, shelves, and tables made, while hopefully learning how to do it as well. We will learn what the people think about things. I want to listen to them. Sure, I have ideas of encouraging and training local believers, but for a while... Jimena and I will be the learners. 




No comments:

Post a Comment