Friday, July 16, 2010

Cold Days in San Fernando

I am wearing sweats, a long-sleeve shirt, a sweatshirt, a wool sweater, 2 pairs of socks, and a heavy blanket as I write.  I have not wanted to leave my ice box of a home and brave the outside; however, David offered to come home and get me this morning so that I could talk with Katie. So we made our way to the hangar and the radio.

I learned that it is also cold in San Fernando.  Katie has been wearing the same 2 sweaters for a couple days and I can relate.  I did question if she needed me to collect more warm clothing but she let me know she was good for daytime as well as night.  The cold is having the same wanting-to-stay-home effect on her there, too.  It has been raining today in both our areas which just adds to the fun.

So as far as news-to-pass-on goes...

  • Katie found someone willing to construct a table, chairs, and a bed.  She paid half of the cost and is hoping in a few weeks to have her new furniture ready. 

  • The first week of Prayer Meeting brought 5 adults and 10-12 kids, but this week there was only 1 adult and a handful of children.  Katie is not discouraged as the cold keeps people away.  Keep the Wednesday night meetings in your prayers as this is still new for them.

  • This Sunday she will be sharing from Ephesians 3 and in the evenings she is sharing a random Psalm.  Getting ready to teach is taking lots of preparation which she has time for each week right now.  We can pray that those hearing will have open ears to what God is teaching them and that they will then share what they learn with others in the community.

  • She is visiting and making friends.  Often they drink a common tea and sometimes will share bread or she might leave with a couple eggs.  She enjoys this chatting time and needs to talk. 
I am sure that most of you reading this are enjoying the warm weather that the northern hemisphere allows this time of year. Enjoy!  I have been told that Santa Cruz and probably San Fernando, too, are looking at another week of cold. UGH!

4 comments:

  1. Brrrrr! I feel for all of you, as I know there is no heat in most Bolivian houses. It's rough to spend a couple weeks at about 50 degrees both outdoors AND indoors! We're enjoying some tropical weather up here in New York right now! I'm thinking warm thoughts for you. :-) Praying for Katie, Jimena, and you & your family. Love, Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amy for venturing out! It is so good to hear the updates and I'm sure your conversations with Katie are heartwarming to her. Stay warm, or at least as warm as you can. Keeping everyone in our prayers ~ Daphne

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are warm here in MN. Rode my horse early today to avoid the heat. 50 inside is COLD!!! Thanks for news on Katie.

    We had 5 Day Backyard Bible club this week with 15-18 neighborhood children. The summer missionaries are teens that train for a week or two and then spend their summer teaching 1 1/2 hour Bible clubs 2-3 times a day. My grandsons and the neighborhood kids look forward to it every year. There is long term fruit appearing in the children as we see them from year to year and we are excited with what God is doing.

    Katie and Jimena and your family and Jimena's are all in our prayers. Blessings!! Thanks for being willing to go out to the hanger-ice box and talk on the radio. :D

    <3
    Marylin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen to Marylin's last comment!

    ReplyDelete