Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Thankful

November 10th 2011 



It’s around 7pm Thursday night here in San Fernando. Today the temperature must have reached the high 90’s but then big clouds rolled in that brought some slight showers and a lovely cool breeze, which brought  the overall temperature down. Right now, I am so thankful for many things.

Thursdays have been my school morning. First I teach 7th and 8th grade English, then I teach the 9th graders English, then I get to teach the 4th grade class a little bit of everything. It has been a joy to see the 4th graders once a week. They don’t all come to church, so it is such a joy to teach about Salvation. In past classes we’ve spent a long time on “The Wordless Book”. They even made their own. Today I used Sunday School material written by C&MA Missionaries David and Betty Constance to teach Luke 5:1-11.  At 11.30am the school bell rings and all the kids and teachers go home for lunch. Classes are only in the morning.   From being on my feet all morning teaching in the heat I walked “home”, back to the church, melting. I just wanted to lay down, and not think about cooking or anything.

Praise God for Julia. She is the girl staying with me who is from a neighboring community.  She’s here in San Fernando this school year to study because her community school only goes up to 6th grade. Dina was unable to come back to San Fernando with me this past month. So here in the church, it’s just Julia and me. Today, we came “home” and I laid down.  Julia made lunch, bless her heart. After lunch I rested a little more, then around three o'clock I walked up to Candelaria’s house. Thursday afternoon is our set time for me to visit her. Before I went to Santa Cruz this most recent time, Candelaria and about six other ladies met in her house and we studied the Bible together. Today just Candelaria, her daughter and I studied Romans 8. Then we had Mate together. After a little while I walked to another house to visit with a lady who has come to the church many times, and often who has studied the Bible at Candelarias house. It was nice to visit with her.  I had photographs to give her as well. She said the inside of her heels hurt. Poor lady. I’m sure it’s something to do with her bones and old age. The only foot-wear here is flip flops. 


Then a military pickup truck passed by.  Finally “Juancinto Pinto” had arrived. That is the Bolivian government program that once a year gives each student in the school system 200 Bolivianos in cash, which is equivalent to about 30$, to encourage them to stay in school. It is meant to help their parents to buy what the children need for school.  So all of the school kids, their parents and I headed to the school.  I am the guardian of Julia, so I had to be with her for her to receive her 200 Bolivianos.


Now, Julia and I are sitting in the kitchen. She’s at the kitchen table doing homework and I am using this lovely little computer, with the fan blowing on us, lights on and some soft 1940’s classic blues/ jazz music playing in the back ground.  So peaceful. (I thank God for solar power and the SAMAIR CREW who makes all these conveniences possible!!)   Then we got four little visitors:  three little boys and 14 year old Elena, our neighbor kids.  The boys are playing with some little cards, a memory game. Now Elena is watching me use the computer, as I explain to her what I’m writing, and how to use the computer.


In my bedroom I have a white kitchen towel which has never been used.  It's laying on a shelf, with the tag still on it. I just like to look at it.  It’s under a picture of my Mom.  I brought the towel to San Fernando from Santa Cruz. It was in storage at the SAM guest house with my things for I-don’t -know-how-long. This little white  towel has a turkey and 2 little pumpkins on it, all warm fall colors.  It not only makes me think of Thanksgiving and the United States, it makes me think of how thankful I am. 


God has truly blessed me here in this awesome ministry in San Fernando. There have been serious challenges:  physical, spiritual and emotional. Yet over all, when I stand back and look at the big picture, souls are being effected for eternity here. The God of the universe uses me to explain the Bible to people who desire to learn, nearly every day. People are crossing over from the darkness to the light. What an honor.  What an awesome privilege. Yet I still feel my frailty, my weakness, my limitations. Miraculously God has chosen me to glorify Himself.  As I seek God, He is revealing himself to me. Lately through reading “Abide in Christ” by Andrew Murray, listening to MP3 recorded messages from Pastors Rob Gates and John Piper and my personal study of 1 John and Romans 8, as well as “Hasta que todos llegamos” God has been revealing to me what it is to be constantly led by the Holy Spirit.


Emotionally… If someone were to ask me what I would like to be doing this time next year, to be completely honest I would have to say, “Getting married”. As I think about my future, and all the possibilities: continuing with SAM in this region, joining another mission, working in the United States, going back to school for my Masters, or becoming a wife and mother, the latter sounds the best. Please pray that I would live a Holy Spirit led life and not be led by my emotions.  God knows the desires of my heart, and now so do you. So, whatever doors God opens, through your prayers you are part of it. I so appreciate this great network of support I have.


 Sitting here, now in my kitchen alone, all the neighbor kids long gone, and Julia gone to bed a while ago, it’s easy to feel quite alone, but I know I am not.  

1 comment:

  1. Praying dear one for the Lord's wisdom, grace and direction. So excited about the Word going forth in so many ways in SF. God be praised!!

    Amy, thanks for your ministry to Katie and all of us out here.
    Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete