Sunday, April 24, 2011

En La Manana

28 de Marzo 2011, 11.45 A.M.

      Chicken in one hand, yucca in the other, along with a bag full of corn, sugar cane and chitimoya. I am walking back to my house.  It’s been a good morning, though the sweat is rolling down my face and arms. My goal: showing people Jesus loves them.
      One family lives a ways outside of the town.  The matriarch of the family is named Mercedes (yes, like the car). A while ago she asked if I could bring her some size14 sewing machine needles. I wanted to bring her the needles that had come in with Greg's last flight a week ago. I also had a few more things I wanted to give them. She and her two grown daughters were out in their field. I went out to join them. They have a little shelter to rest in, between working and chasing birds from their corn. We had a lovely visit. They are pleasant folks, who smile and laugh easily. They asked me how much the needles cost.  I told them I had asked Tom Throssel the SAM missionary Aviation Mechanic (also  my boss) who bought the needles how much they were, and he told me they were so cheap, that I could just give them away. When I told Mercedes that, rather than be happy, she insisted on paying me.  She gave me 10 bolivianos. On top of that, I  left with my bag full of corn to eat and to give to my chickens.  We had such a nice visit, and talked about many things. She asked about my mother. I am always so blessed when people ask me about my family or how I am doing. I can ask them about their families, their feelings, their lives but they share little with me until they see me as a person, and truly trust me. I truly enjoy visiting people in their homes, seeing into their lives, sharing time and a laugh together. Every one in town knows who I am, though they might not know my name, they call me “Hermana".  I am everyone's sister. They know I teach in the evangelical church. The children see me at school when I teach art, Bible, and English. I enjoy visiting all the families of the town. Some families I visit more frequently than others. It always blesses me when I visit a family, and they have many questions for me about my life. Then, in following days, I see them at the church service! I love it when people come for the first time when I didn’t even ask or beg them to come. They know when the services are, and I expressed interest in their lives, then… they come. If people don’t come to the service I am NEVER offended. It’s only the Holy Spirit who prompts people to come. That is His job. Other folks want to come, but can’t leave their home at night due to many reasons. I am always surprised to see older youth come to the services. I know they are the same guys who drink when there is a party of any sort. When I share God’s Word I spare NO PUNCHES, and direct much at them. I find myself speaking in a very loud voice when talking about true repentance, and God’s desire to bless those who seek Him truly with their whole lives. God’s way is best. "The devil desires destruction and death," I share as loud as I can.  Alcoholism is very prevalent here. Children go hungry due to their fathers spending all their money on liquor.  Women are beaten when their husbands are drunk and angry. When I visit peoples homes I share God’s love, and often pray for them before I leave, but I do not share very "heavily"… it’s in the church services… when people choose to come to the church that I speak black and white, very clearly with the  authority God has given me to share the truth. The last few days and weeks I can feel the power of God flowing through me. There is nothing better. Now I must put this little computer away and get ready for the discipleship class I have at 2 p.p. in my house. Five believers from the church will come and we will study a little booklet (one of seven) on the Doctrines of Salvation.  This current booklet is on the Doctrine of Faith.  Thanks for your prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Amy for your faithfulness in helping to hear from Katie. Blessings and Happy Resurrection Day!!
    Marylin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praise God for you boldness and may God continue move through you to speak the truth. May people come to true repentance and begin to live in freedom from sin!

    ReplyDelete